Skip to content

Article 4 Directions

In Leicester we have additional planning controls introduced under Article 4 Directions which cover some areas and buildings.

What is an Article 4 Direction?

Permitted development allows certain types of building alterations or changes of use to go ahead without the need to make a planning application. In some areas and for specific buildings we have removed these rights by introducing an Article 4 Direction. 

What does this mean for you?

If you live in an affected area and wish to alter or change the use of your property you may need planning permission. The restrictions may differ from area to area, but in conservation areas, they could include:

  • extensions 
  • outside alterations such as new windows or door
  • re-roofing or alterations to chimneys and/or ridge tiles
  • porches
  • covering gardens in concrete or tarmac 
  • taking down garden walls or fences to make car parking spaces
  • putting up gates, fences or walls
  • covering the walls by rendering or painting the brickwork.

For a few individual properties, Article 4 Directions have removed the rights to demolish, alter and extend.

What should you do?

If you live in an affected area and intend to start work please check with us first. If you make any controlled alterations without permission we may take action to restore the original appearance at the owner's expense.

What about repair and maintenance?

You can carry out essential repair and maintenance work without planning permissions. The work must not change the appearance of the property and should use the same types of materials.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

Under an Article 4 Direction you need planning permission to convert a family house into a shared house or HMO for up to six people. Find out if you're affected.

Areas and buildings affected

In addition to the above sites, in November 2016 and January 2022, we added Article 4 Directions to a number of locally listed buildings (non-designated heritage assets). To view these Article 4 Directions, please use the quick link at the top of this page 'Local heritage asset register'.