Park and Ride
Our services from Birstall, Meynell's Gorse and Enderby are now running.
Birstall Park and Ride service available
The Park and Ride site at Birstall has reopened from Monday 2 November, with bus services running from 7am to 7 pm, Monday to Saturday.
The service had remained suspended at Birstall as the site was being used as a Covid testing facility, and this will continue alongside the reopening of the Birstall site for Park & Ride services.
Passengers can be reassured that strictly enforced one-way systems will be in place and they will not come into contact with people arriving for Covid tests. Signage is being installed to ensure that Park and Ride passengers and those visiting for Covid tests are directed to the relevant areas of the site, and there will also be marshals on site to ensure separation is maintained.
Changes to Park and Ride services from 1 June 2020
- To comply with social distancing requirements, buses will operate to a limited capacity. We are currently running with a capacity of 12, increased to 15 if a number of passengers are from the same household.
- Payment by contactless card was introduced from Monday 15 June 2020. Where passengers need to pay by cash, it is requested that the exact fare is given to minimise contact with drivers. To assist with this, a flat rate of £3 for a day ticket will be introduced.
- All concessionary pass holders will be able to use Park and Ride services free of charge at all times until further notice.
- Passengers will be asked to board from the back to the front to ensure social distancing is observed
- Perspex screens will be affixed to drivers’ doors and stickers will be used on the bus to indicate the availability of seats.
What other safety measures will be in place?
There are several measures put in place to ensure customers and staff remain safe while using the service.
- Risk assessments have been completed for the buses by Roberts Travel Group and we have risked assessed the terminal buildings.
- There will be additional signage at terminals and car parks encouraging people to socially distance and practice good hand hygiene.
- Seated areas and toilet facilities will remain closed,
- Terminal buildings will remain open and will be regularly cleaned and checked throughout the day.
Buses from all three Park and Ride sites will:
- Operate every 15 minutes to the city centre
- 7am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday
NHS workers and concessions
NHS workers and concessions can continue to use the bus free of charge, but we are encouraging people to follow the Government’s advice to use a vehicle if you have access to one. If you cycle, you could also consider park and cycle which is a scheme we offer to encourage more sustainable travel. You can park and cycle from either of the sites reopening in June.
For further information on Leicester Park and Ride, please visit Choose How You Move.
This service is currently subsidised by the Covid-19 Bus Services Support and Better Buses Grants 2020-2021.
The grants financially support the operation of 7,130 kms per week relating to the subsidised park and ride services from Enderby and Meynells Gorse.
- Supported Bus Services Revenue Grant 2020/2021 (£83,550)
- Covid-19 Bus Services Support Grants
- 17 March to 13 April 2020: £19,985
- 14 April to 11 May 2020: £19,985
- 12 May to 1 June 2020: £19,985
- 1 June - 4 August: £54,304