Overview and scrutiny
The overview and scrutiny function is vital to our work, helping us develop policies, improve our performance and hold the City Mayor and Executive to account for their decisions.
It can also help scrutinise work carried out by other organisations, such as the NHS.
The scrutiny commissions are made up of councillors who are not members of our main decision-making executive. They can also include people from outside bodies, such as community leaders, teachers and members of our Young People's Council.
They meet to gather evidence from officers, councillors, service users and experts before making recommendations to the City Mayor and executive.
What areas do we scrutinise?
Our scrutiny system consists of the Overview Select Committee and seven scrutiny commissions:
- Overview Select Committee has a general remit to perform the scrutiny role and functions as set out in Article 8 of our constitution, and specifically scrutinises the work of the city mayor, deputy city mayors and areas of our work overseen by them as well as cross cutting issues.
- Adult social care focuses on matters relating to our delivery of statutory adult social care functions, such as home care and care homes.
- Children, young people and schools looks at learning services and our Building Schools for the Future programme.
- Economic development, transport and tourism considers matters which include planning policies, employment and skills; leisure services and tourism.
- Health and wellbeing has a unique democratic mandate to act in the interests of all Leicester residents, in relation to the health services they receive.
- Heritage, culture, leisure and sport looks at areas including parks and play areas; museums and heritage interpretation.
- Housing considers matters relating to housing and the homeless. It was previously part of the adult social care commission.
- Neighbourhood services looks at the provision of community services, libraries, environmental and enforcement services, and the voluntary and community sector.
Write to us: Democratic Support, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ
Send us an email