Skip to content

Building control and regulations

Building regulations are there to ensure the health, safety and well-being of the public is maintained and buildings are designed to improve thermal performance and conserve fuel and power.

We can help you provide high quality buildings in a timely and cost-effective way. We also deal with dangerous structures, demolitions and unauthorised building work.

We administer the building regulations in Leicester and maintain standards of health, safety and energy conservation in most building schemes. We provide an impartial, objective assessment of your work through appraisal of submitted plans and information, and subsequent site inspections.

Local authority building control (LABC)

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) is the building control choice of the construction industry. It delivers value for money services in a competitive market place, and achieves the highest standards. With more than 3,000 professional surveyors and building technicians working in local authority building control we provide a consistent national service that's delivered locally. We can provide a number of additional services through LABC Consult such as fire risk assessments, fire and structural engineering, energy and sustainability calculations, access audits, acoustic consultancy and testing and air pressure testing.

What we offer

  • pre-application advice and meetings
  • competitive quotation to provide a quality service
  • electronic submission of application
  • fast track checking of building regulations application
  • full plan checks
  • full third party check of submitted structural calculations where necessary
  • liaison regarding site visits with team
  • close working relationship with Leicestershire Fire & Rescue Service and other local service providers
  • issue of completion certificate.

The regulations

The current regulations are The Building Regulations 2010 and are empowered by The Building Act 1984.

Many types of building work require approval under building regulations, which can be obtained either using the full plans process or the building notice process. Only a few types of building work are exempt building regulations.

In either case a fee is normally required, based on the type of work to be carried out. Further information is on our fees page.

Planning permission

Building regulation approval and planning permission are separate issues, and having one approval/permission does not necessarily mean you will not require the other.

Some building work will require building regulation approval but will not require planning permission, and other work will require planning permission and may not require building regulation approval, whilst a lot of work will require both approvals.

Building regulation topics and documentation

The building regulations cover a number of topics such as structure, fire, moisture resistance, toxic substances, sound, ventilation, water supply and sanitary conveniences, drainage, boilers and chimneys, stairs and ramps, conservation of fuel and power, access for all, safety glazing, electrical work in and around dwellings.

Guidance is given in a number of booklets called the approved documents.

High rise buildings

The Building Safety Regulator is responsible for any structure;

A high-rise residential structure has:

  • at least 7 floors or is at least 18 metres in height
  • at least 2 residential units

A high-rise residential building can contain one or more high-rise residential structures.

The Building Regulations etc. (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2023 set out a framework which identifies those duty holders involved in the procurement, design and undertaking of building work, and imposes duties on them. They apply to all building work from 1 October 2023 onwards.

The duty holders to which these regulations will apply will be clients, principal designers, designers, principal contractors and contractors. As has always been the case, the duty to ensure that the work complies with all relevant building regulations is on those procuring and undertaking the design and building work.

Duty holders will need to plan, manage and monitor their work, cooperate and communicate with each other and coordinate their work. Those undertaking design work and building work will need to have the right competence (the skills, knowledge, experience and behaviours or organisational capability) for the work they are engaged to do.

The person making the appointment for design work or commissioning building work has a duty to appoint a competent person, and the person undertaking the work should not undertake the work if they are not competent to do so.

Anyone undertaking design work or building work will need to plan, manage and monitor the work to ensure that it complies with all relevant requirements. When carrying out design work the designer or principal designer will be required to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the design is such that, if the building work to which the design relates has been built in accordance with that design then the building work would comply with all relevant requirements.

When carrying out building work, the contractor or principal contractor will need to ensure the building work they carry out complies with all relevant requirements. The requirements placed upon clients, designers, principal designers, contractors and principal contractors are listed in regulations 11A to 11O of the Building Regulations 2010 as inserted by Regulation 6 of the Building Regulations etc. (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2023. In higher-risk buildings the duty holders will need to demonstrate to the Regulator how they intend to comply, how they are complying, and how they have complied with their duties, including submitting a competence declaration to the Regulator when requesting a competition certificate for the work.

Other than the checks being carried out for higher-risk building work when applications are made to the Regulator, we are not expecting proactive inspections of the duty holder and competence regime.

However, when there is a failure to comply with building regulations, the duty holder and competence regulations will enable the building control authority to track back through the design and building processes for the project for each of the relevant duty holders and take appropriate action for non-compliance with the building regulations as appropriate.

In the interest of safety of the general public, occupiers and adjoining owners, most buildings to be demolished are subject to legal requirements administered by the Building Control Division.

  • If you wish to demolish a building or part of a building, you are required to notify the Local Authority in writing, giving at least six weeks notice.
  • A copy of the notice should also be sent to other interested parties, such as the occupier of any adjacent building, and the local water, gas and electricity supply authorities/companies.

We will write to inform you of any works to be carried out to services and adjoining buildings. This is to ensure that: Gas, electricity and water supplies are made safe, Redundant drains are sealed, Affected buildings are properly supported and weatherproofed, and On completion debris is removed and the site made safe.

You may only start the demolition if you have received our response to your notice or the six week period has expired. If you commence before that time the local authority may be obliged to take enforcement action under the Building Act 1984.


Demolition works may only commence after receipt of the City Council's Counter Notice or on expiry of 6 weeks from the date Notice was given to the City Council.

  • Planning consent may also be required prior to demolishing a building. For further advice contact the Development Control Section Ph


The Council's Counter Notice will specify requirements that the owner or agent must adhere to during the demolition process.

These requirements relate to:

  • Shoring and weatherproofing adjacent buildings.
  • Repairing damage to adjacent buildings.
  • Removing rubbish from the site.
  • Disconnecting, sealing or removing drains and sewers on the site.
  • Making good disturbed ground.
  • Making arrangements with statutory undertakers for the disconnection of services to the building.
  • Arrangements for burning of material on the site.
  • Other matters such as securing the site against unauthorised access, or ensuring compliance with British Standard 6187 Code of Practice on Demolition.

Copies of the Counter Notice will be sent to relevant Statutory Undertakers, including Southern Electricity, Transco, Southern Water Services, the Health and Safety Executive, Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service, owner/occupiers of adjacent buildings and other sections of the Council and interested bodies.


A person undertaking demolition work must provide Building Control with notice of certain stages of the work; these are as follows.

  • At least 48 hours notice must be given before disconnecting, sealing or removing drains and sewers on the site.
  • At least 24 hours notice must be given before making good disturbed ground

Contact us

We prefer enquiries to be emailed where possible.

Send us a message

Write to us: Leicester City Building Control, Phoenix House, 1 King Street, Leicester, LE1 6RN
Ring us on: 0116 454 3160