Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) and Council Tax Discretionary Relief (CTDR) if you need help with housing costs or council tax.
What support can I get?
Discretionary Housing Payments and Council Tax Discretionary Relief are usually only paid for a short period, to give you time to get over a temporary lack of income, while you look for:
- different accommodation
- find a lodger to share your bills or;
- get financial advice to help with your debts or budgeting.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for DHP, you must need extra financial help, and be entitled to either housing benefit or Universal Credit with a housing costs element.
To be eligible for council tax discretionary relief (CTDR), you must be named on the council tax bill at your address and be in severe financial hardship.
You might need a support because:
- your benefits have been capped;
- you are having to pay more in housing costs as you are now considered to have a spare bedroom;
- you are at risk of becoming homeless and we are looking at alternative housing for you;
- you are struggling to pay the 20 per cent minimum council tax payment due to your current financial circumstances.
How to apply
You will need to provide the bank statements from the last two months, Credit Union or Post Office statements. This is essential - no decision will be made on your claim unless these are provided.
If you are applying online you can attach your statements electronically.