Skip to content

Discretionary payments

Get support if you need help with housing costs or council tax.

There is no discretionary housing payment funding available until April, but we may be able to consider your application for housing costs using the Household Support Fund.

What support can I get?

Discretionary awards are usually only paid for a short period, to give you time to get over a temporary lack of income, while you look for:

  • different accommodation
  • find a lodger to share your bills or;
  • get financial advice to help with your debts or budgeting.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for Household Support Fund housing costs, you must need extra financial help, and be entitled to either housing benefit or Universal Credit with a housing costs element. You must also be an exceptional case of genuine emergency, and be taking steps to make your tenancy sustainable. We can only make awards for your current arrears in the property you live in.

To be eligible for council tax discretionary relief (CTDR), you must be named on the council tax bill at your address and be in severe financial hardship.

You might need a support because:

  • you are at risk of becoming homeless and we are looking at alternative housing for you;
  • you are struggling to pay the 20 per cent minimum council tax payment due to your current financial circumstances.

How to apply

You will need to provide the bank statements from the last two months, Credit Union or Post Office statements. This is essential - no decision will be made on your claim unless these are provided.

If you are applying online you can attach your statements electronically.