Skip to content

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund, funded by the Department of Work and Pensions, aims to help households in most need with food, energy vouchers or essential kitchen equipment. In exceptional circumstances, you could apply for support with housing costs.

Am I eligible?

This scheme aims to support those who have not received financial support from the government’s Cost of Living Payments, and the previous phases of the Household Support Fund. It also aims to support those on a low income, have limited savings, and are particularly at risk due to factors such as disabilities or caring for young children.

Can I apply myself?

Yes, you can apply for the following:

  • food
  • energy bills (including heating, cooking, lighting and water).

You will need a professional referral for the following:

  • essential kitchen equipment (cookers, fridge freezers, microwaves and washing machines)
  • in exceptional cases, support with housing costs.

A referrer can also complete an application on your behalf for support with food and energy bills.

What will I need to provide?

You will be asked to provide evidence of your circumstances, such as:

  • last two months bank statements and;
  • a recent energy bill showing how much you owe.

Please have these ready to upload with your application form if you are submitting an application online by yourself.

I cannot claim public funds. Can I apply? 

People who cannot claim public funds are not eligible to apply for this grant.

There are some exceptions: for example, where someone has community care needs, serious health problems or there is a risk to a child’s wellbeing. In these cases, please contact Children’s Services Duty and Assessment Team (for families with children) or Adult’s Services Duty and Assessment Team (for individuals and couples without children) on 0116 454 1004 who will be able to assess and refer into the scheme.

How will I receive support?

We will look at the information in your application to see what support you need. 

If your application is successful, your award will be made in the following ways:

  • an e-voucher for food. This will be a contribution towards your spending on these items, not a replacement for your entire budget
  • an e-voucher or credit onto your bill for gas, electricity, district heating, water/sewerage
  • cookers, fridge freezers, washing machines and microwaves will be delivered. These could be re-used items
  • in exceptional cases, rent payments will be made directly to your rent account or landlord.

Where can I use my food e-vouchers?

If you are awarded an e-voucher, you will need to go online to convert this into a gift card for one of the following supermarkets. You can then spend the gift card in store.

  • Aldi
  • Iceland
  • Morrisons
  • Tesco
  • Sainsbury’s
  • Asda
  • Company Shop Group
  • Farmfoods

Find out how to use your e-voucher (PDF).

Can I apply more than once? 

Yes, you can apply once in the first half of the year up to September and once in the second half of the year, up to the end of February 2024. We will refuse any second applications for duplicate items.

How will you decide if I qualify?

We will assess your application and email you to explain our decision. If you were referred by a professional, we will also provide a copy of the email to them.

Can someone apply on my behalf?

Yes, you can ask a family member or friend to apply on your behalf.

How long will this scheme run for? 

The scheme will run from 30 May 2023 to the end of February 2024.

How do I apply?

We will be accepting a limited number of applications to enable timely processing.

You will only be able to submit an application on the following dates/times:

  • Monday 31 July – 5pm to 8.30pm
  • Saturday 19 August – 9am to 12.30pm
  • Monday 28 August – 5pm to 8.30pm
  • Saturday 16 September – 9am to 12.30pm
  • Monday 25 September – 5pm to 8.30pm



You may be eligible to be referred by one of the following teams if you are receiving support from them:

  • Children's social care, through your social worker
  • Adult social care and safeguarding, through your social worker
  • Via your income management officer, if you are a council tenant in arrears or in need of financial support
  • Via your neighbourhood housing officer, if you are a council tenant not in arrears or in need of financial support, or only in need of white goods
  • The welfare rights service
  • The transitions team.

Further support

If you do not have online access and not receiving support from any of the teams mentioned above, you can contact our C19 support team through customer services or by emailing

Applications can only be made on your behalf on Wednesdays between 9.30am and 4pm, and if you need to apply you will be advised to call back. Advice and support will continue to be provided Monday to Friday.

Frequently asked questions

If you do not have any contact or support from these services, or if you need help to complete the online application as you do not have online access or need language support, call us on 0116 454 1019, Monday to Friday between 9:30 and 4pm.

If we need to make any changes, an updated policy will be published on this page. All applications received the day after any published changes will be assessed in line with that updated policy.

The scheme may close earlier if all the funding has been used.

We offer a range of advice and support to city residents:

Preventing fraud

We must make sure that all applications are made legitimately.

If you falsely declare your circumstances, provide a false statement, or provide false evidence in support of your application, you may have committed an offence under the Fraud Act 2006.

We have a zero-tolerance approach to fraud and financial irregularity. All suspicions of fraud relating to this scheme will be referred to Leicestershire Police.