Skip to content

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), through your local Jobcentre Plus. It is a single monthly payment for people out of work or on a low income replacing six other benefits.

How to apply

Budgeting advice

Benefits calculator

Get help with making a Universal Credit application

Need financial help while you wait for your first payment?

If you need help to pay your bills or cover other costs while you wait for your first Universal Credit payment, you can apply get an advance on your first payment.

Are you entitled to council tax support?

If you are claiming Universal Credit for the first time and you are required to pay council tax you must make a separate online application for council tax support.


Don’t have a computer or internet access ?
Visit your local library

More information