Community support grant
The community support grant scheme (CSG) is available to support vulnerable people experiencing financial hardship. Applicants will need to demonstrate that they are in financial hardship brought about by a one-off and sudden misfortune.
The community support grants scheme for crisis applications can help with the following:
- vouchers for gas and electricity for customers with a prepayment meter and responsibility for a utility supply in Leicester
- vouchers for food.
Please be aware we do not provide cash.
In order to be considered, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You have no funds for your immediate daily essentials such as food, gas and electricity.
- You must be over 16.
- You must be a resident of Leicester.
- You need to have suffered a sudden and unexpected financial misfortune.
- You need to be able to demonstrate your circumstances and may be required to provide evidence to support this.
Tips for submitting an application
- The application will be completed over the phone and will take around 20 minutes to complete.
- Ensure you have details to hand like your national insurance number, full address (including postcode) and details of your income.
- Evidence, such as bank statements and identification, may be required to support your application.
- Each case will be treated on its own merits and all customers will receive equal and fair treatment.
How to submit a crisis application
To make a claim for crisis support, you should email your name and contact number to C19support@leicester.gov.uk.
Our staff will then call back between 9.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, and the application will be completed over the phone.
If eligible, how do I access my award?
If your application is successful:
- utility vouchers will be emailed directly to you or a trusted family member or friend. You will then redeem the voucher to top up your gas or electricity. Please do this within 72 hours of receiving the e-voucher otherwise it will expire. It is advised you redeem your e-voucher at a larger PayPoint outlet. If you have trouble redeeming your voucher, please contact PayPoint directly on 0330 400 0000 or email CSG@leicester.gov.uk.
- food vouchers will be issued by email directly to you or a trusted family member or friend.
We have temporarily suspended offer of support grants for items such as furniture.