Skip to content

Registering for an online account

Sorry, you will not be able to register for an online account at the moment. Existing users can still continue to use our service. We hope to have this fixed soon.

Council tax

Find information on ways to pay, how to change your address, accessing your account, and if you are eligible for discounts and exemptions on council tax.

Did you know?

Council tax is a local tax which helps provide services like education, waste collection and social services for more than 144,000 Leicester households.

Every February, councillors agree a budget, which sets out how much money needs to be collected via council tax. A bill is then sent to each home that shows how much needs to be paid. The bill also includes the charges payable for the police and crime commissioner and the fire service. The amount payable is based on a valuation of each home, and the number of people who live there. The person who needs to pay the bill is usually the person that lives there as their main home.

There are various ways the amount payable can be reduced. You can find more information about this on our Discounts, exemptions and reductions webpage. 

You can also view guidance on paying the right level of council tax at GOV.UK.

We will never call or email you to ask for your bank details. You should never disclose your bank details to anyone in an unexpected telephone call or email.

Any personal information that you provide will be processed in accordance with current Data Protection legislation. It will be used by Leicester City Council and our partners to deliver and improve services and fulfil our statutory duties. We will not disclose any personal information to any other third parties unless required or allowed to do so by law. Read more about how we use personal data on our privacy notice.