Pay your council tax and paperless billing
There are a number of ways to pay your council tax bill. We offer a paperless billing service and you can also check your council tax account by signing up to a 'My revenues and benefits' account.
Ways to pay
As well as paying online, you can also pay by direct debit or standing order; over the telephone; by cheque; at any outlet displaying the PayPoint logo.
You have a choice of four dates - the 1st, 10th, 20th or 28th of each month, and you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your bank in the unlikely event of anything going wrong.
To pay by standing order, you can print off a form, or email us to ask for a form and send it to your bank or building society.
You should set your payment date for five days before the due date shown on your bill. This will ensure the payment is received and put on your account on time.
Download our standing order form at the bottom of this page.
Debit or Credit Card
Our secure answer phone service 0116 454 1012 is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We accept Switch (Maestro) and Delta debit cards, and most credit cards.
You should have your card details and council tax account number ready when you call.
You can also pay by posting a cheque, which should be made payable to 'Leicester City Council'.
Write your council tax account number from your bill on the back of your cheque and send it to Leicester City Council, Revenues & Customer Support, York House, 91 Granby Street, Leicester, LE1 6FB.
Please post your payment at least five days before the due date shown on your bill. We do not accept post-dated cheques. Do not send cash through the post.
You can pay at any outlet showing the PayPoint logo. Outlets include newsagents, convenience stores, supermarkets and garages. Details of your local outlet can be found at the PayPoint website.
If your account has been passed to one of our agents to collect, you can also make payments to them online.
Paperless billing allows you to receive your council tax bill in PDF format directly to your email address.
This free service ensures you will receive your bill as soon as it's available, and saves on printing, sorting and postage costs which are otherwise ultimately passed on to Leicester residents.
You can complete an online form to sign up for paperless billing, or email us from the address you would like to use, with the subject heading 'E-Billing', quoting your name and address or council tax account number.
What are the benefits of e-billing?
- You receive your bill as soon as it's available.
- You will always know where your bill is.
- It saves printing, sorting and postage costs which is ultimately passed on to Leicester's residents.
- You still have the option to download and print the bill if you want to.
- Each person named on the bill can receive their own copy.
- Your future council tax bills will be sent in PDF format to your email address until you tell us to stop.
- Our email will include a link to the latest booklet which contains explanatory notes on how your council tax is spent, ways to reduce your bill and much more.
- It saves paper, so it's better for the environment.
- It's free to use.