Our responsibility for Public Health
Our Public Health team is focused on work to address the health and wellbeing needs of people in Leicester.
What is our role?
We have a control of five mandatory functions:
- Health protection
- Public health advice to the NHS
- The national child measurement programme
- Sexual health
- NHS health check assessment.
We aim to improve the city's public health and reduce premature mortality through raising awareness; research; consultations; behaviour change campaigns; information exchange and practical action.
We will commission further services including campaigns to prevent cancer and long-term conditions, schemes to tackle obesity, help people give up smoking, and public mental health services. A full list of these can be found on the Department of Health website.
Reports, strategies and board papers
The following pages detail the work of our Public Health team:
- Data, reports and information
- Health and Wellbeing Board
- Oral Health papers and resources
- Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
- Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment
- Leicester Health and Wellbeing Survey
- Leicester Health Profiles.
You can also download our most recent annual report at the bottom of the page.
If you have problems accessing or viewing the Mental wellbeing - Director of public health annual report (2018) below, please send us an email.