We’re working towards reducing carbon dioxide emissions, improving energy efficiency and providing affordable warmth for homes and businesses in the city.
Energy at home
We are committed to working towards being carbon neutral by 2030. Improving the energy efficiency of homes plays a key part in this journey. See what schemes and funds are available below:
Get a survey done of your home by an impartial, professional surveyor from our energy projects team. You'll get a report detailing the best way to improve your home to save energy, reduce bills, and lower your carbon footprint. We also advise you on any funding help you may be able to get.
Find out more about Warm Home Surveys.
The Warmer Homes, Greener Homes fund helps Leicester homeowners who are struggling to afford to replace their broken or faulty heating system. The fund is aimed at helping those who are vulnerable to the cold due to having a long-term health condition or disability.
The fund also provides one-off grants of up to £500 for Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Top-ups to help fund contributions clients have been asked to make. Funding is limited and awards don’t cover 100% of the costs.
Find out more about the Warmer Homes, Greener Homes fund and eligibility criteria.
ECO is a scheme run by energy companies to help improve the energy performance of homes occupied by vulnerable, low income households. This scheme is available to homeowners and private tenants who receive benefits.
ECO Flex is an extension of the ECO scheme, but the criteria for who qualifies for help are wider than the normal scheme.
Find out more about the ECO Flex scheme.
The Home Upgrade Grant (HUG) scheme and the Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery (LAD) scheme aim to improve the energy efficiency of privately owned and privately rented homes with a D, E, F or G energy rating.
The Home Upgrade (HUG) scheme is only for homes which have electric appliances, LPG oil or solid fuel as their main source of heating. The scheme installs free energy efficiency measures, such as:
- External wall insulation (EWI)
- Solar PV panels
- Loft insulation
- Underfloor insulation
- Air source heat pump
- High retention storage heaters
Due to high demand, applications for the current phase of the Green Homes Grant LAD scheme have been paused.
If you have questions about your application for a previous phase of the scheme there is more information on our Green Homes schemes page.
Advice and support
- Get a survey of your home with impartial, professional advice from our Energy Projects Team about how to improve your home's energy efficiency
- Find ways to save energy in your home is an online tool that recommends home. improvements to make your home more energy-efficient and reduce your energy costs.
- Cost of living support - get help with fuel costs, information on keeping warm and well.
- Connected for Warmth is an award-winning grant scheme offering free energy-saving measures to homes across Britain, that can help you reduce your energy use and stay warm and well.
- Advice on external wall insulation - we can advise on a range of government grant schemes, and provide guidance on insulation designs and what planning permission is required.
- Energy Saving Trust website for advice on saving energy at home.
- NEA website - advice on energy bills and keeping warm and safe in your home. This website has useful accessibility tools.
- Ofgem - website explains what help you can ask for from your supplier, and other help that might be available.
- Citizens Advice - website has advice if you have been struggling to pay your energy bills and you need more support, or you are vulnerable.
- Find your property's energy certificate (EPC) rating
- Find a TrustMark registered installer
- Get more information on smart readers
Energy at work
We are working to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions in Leicester. Businesses have a large impact on these targets, and we're dedicated to working with them to help them achieve this.
Climate change and energy costs are having a real impact on businesses and a business can benefit from increasing resilience to the rising energy costs. By focusing on energy efficiency, a business can reduce energy use, reduce energy bills, improve the overall efficiency of the businesses and help protect them from rising energy costs. See what business schemes and funds are available below:
Green BELLE was an European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) project being run by the Energy Projects Team, which assisted SMEs in Leicester and Leicestershire to cut their carbon emissions and reduce their energy bills.
The project has now come to an end. For more information, visit the Green BELLE website.
- Financial support for businesses - GOV.UK
- LLEP Business Gateway Growth Hub - other energy efficiency schemes