Skip to content

After the flood

Advice and guidance on what to do after a flooding incident – once the waters have subsided and you are back in your home / business.

Emergency medication

Advice for owner / occupiers and businesses

If you have experienced damage to your property due to flooding, it’s important you contact your house or business insurance provider as soon as possible and follow their advice, making a claim on your insurance where appropriate.

The insurance provider will also advise on whether you should claim on your content insurance (as applicable).

If practical, don’t dispose of any damaged possessions until your insurance company has advised you can do this, as this could impact on or invalidate your insurance claim. Further information on insurers and flood claim processes.

If you don’t have house or business insurance, you can get in touch with the National Flood Forum charity on 01299 403 055, as they can offer help and support. They will recommend companies who provide recovery services to help you remove damaged belongings from your property and make repairs or improvements to your property.

If you decide to undertake the recovery works yourself, make sure you wear gloves and googles, and bag up any waste, where possible. You can dispose of waste in your black bin, though it’s advisable to hire a skip if there’s a large amount of waste.

Advice for tenants

If you are a private rented or housing association tenant, let your landlord know that the property has flooded, as they are responsible for the building and will take action in relation to the property. Contact Citizens Advice if you are not happy with the action taken by your landlord.

If you are a council housing tenant, you must report property flooding to us as soon as you can. A housing officer will arrange any emergency repairs to be carried out where necessary. You should also contact your insurance company if you have contents insurance.

If you do not have contents insurance, we recommend you get in touch with the National Flood Forum as soon as possible, as they can offer help and support.

Cleaning your home after a flood

General guidance on cleaning your home safely (

As a council, we don’t offer flood recovery services and so enquiries should be made with flood recovery specialists. However, we do offer some services that can help with the recovery process.

  • Bulky waste collection: Waste can be collected, subject to service terms and conditions. Wet sofas, armchairs, mattresses and carpets are not suitable for this service – these should be taken to the recycling centres.
  • Recycling centres: You can dispose of most flood damage waste at a local recycling centre if you have access to a vehicle. Please note that if you intend to use a van, pickup or large trailer, you can only use the Gypsum Close Recycling Centre, and must apply for a free permit prior to visiting the site.
  • Pest control: Report any issues with pests during or after the flood. Rats are covered for free, though there is a £65 charge for mice, wasps and cockroaches. You should contact a local professional pest control company for any other type of pests.

Social Care

If you are elderly, infirm or have a disability (or have elderly, infirm or disabled relatives), you or they may be eligible for adult social care and benefits.

If you have (or are a carer of) a vulnerable child or a child with a disability you may require additional support. If so, contact our children's social care duty and advice service to speak to someone about your circumstances and any support needs you may have.

Emotional Support

Having a flooded home or business can be incredibly stressful. If you require emotional support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or The Samaritans.