Gypsum Close and Freemen's Common recycling centres is open daily from 8am to 8pm. However, we may need to close the gates or ask people to stop queuing earlier than the stated closing time. This is to allow the sites to be cleaned and sanitised, and also for us to manage any existing queue. This means that you won't be turned away from the sites if you have already been queuing for any time.
Our recycling centres
Gypsum Close Recycling Centre
Location: Gypsum Close, Leicester, LE4 9AB
- Household waste and recycling centre (excluding asbestos and chemicals)
- Trade waste disposal centre
- Charity run re-use shop.
Freemen's Common Recycling Centre
Location: Islington Street, Freemen's Common, Leicester, LE2 7SQ.
- Household waste and recycling centre
- Household asbestos and chemicals disposal.
Opening times for both Gypsum Close and Freemen's Common Recycling Centres:
- April to October: 8am - 8pm
- November to March: 8am - 6pm
Do I need a permit to tip household waste?
- You do not need a permit if you are in a car, unless you are using a trailer more than 1.4 metres long. If you are using a van or pickup, you must apply for a permit. You will need to login or create an account in My Account in order to apply.
Vans, pickups, and cars with trailers can only use the Gypsum Close Recycling Centre (unless disposing of Asbestos).
If you are using your own vehicle, you may receive a 12 month permit that is valid for a maximum of 12 visits. If you are borrowing or hiring a vehicle, we may issue you with a temporary one month permit which is valid for a maximum of 3 visits.
What can I recycle at both centres?
- Batteries (car)
- Batteries (household)
- Car batteries
- Cooking oil
- Dry mixed recycling
- Electrical equipment
- Fluorescent tubes
- Garden waste
- Gas Bottles (must be empty)
- Plastic Bottles
- Soil / Hardcore (maximum 6 x 25kg bags per visit)
- Used engine oil
- White goods (for example, fridges)
- Wood (including chipboard and MDF)
Please sort your items before arrival to avoid queuing.
Materials accepted only at Freemen's Common
- Only cement bonded asbestos will be accepted and it must be double wrapped in plastic.
- A maximum of 8 sheets per visit will be accepted.
- Please call 0116 254 3568 before visiting – asbestos can only be accepted if the container has space for it.
Household and garden chemicals
- Accepted at Freemen's Common only.
Businesses can use our trade waste facility at Gypsum Close. Find out more about trade waste.
All businesses must arrange for legal disposal of waste materials. This includes waste from house clearances, gardening services, tip run services, and landlord activities. It is against the law to use household collections, recycling banks or household waste recycling centres to dispose of trade waste.
If you are found to be leaving commercial waste at the recycling centres, other than at the trade waste facility at Gypsum Close, you may be prosecuted. The unauthorised tipping of waste (fly-tipping) is subject to an unlimited fine and up to five years imprisonment.
Reuse shop (currently closed)
Gypsum Close recycling centre has a charity run re-use shop on site. The shop accepts donations and then sells items which are still in good working order.