Businesses can dispose of their waste at Gypsum Close Trade Recycling Centre. The facility is open to all businesses within or outside of Leicester city.
Gypsum Close trade waste facility
Our trade waste facility offers a simple, flexible and cost effective way to dispose of trade waste and is open to all businesses in and around Leicester. There are many benefits to using the trade waste facility:
- No contracts
- No large bins outside your premises
- No collection fees
- Competitive disposal costs.
How do I use the trade waste facility?
1. Apply for a waste carriers license (using quick link above)
If you wish to transport waste from your business or operational premises to a disposal location, you must possess a valid Waste Carriers Licence (or Waste Carrier exemption if applicable). A licence can be obtained from the Environment Agency. This licence is free if you bring your own business waste. If bringing someone else’s business waste or construction and demolition waste, you may have to pay for the licence.
2. Register your details (using the quick link above)
In addition to applying for the waste carrier’s licence, you can register your details with our waste site to make your first visit quicker. For quick and easy registration of your vehicle, please use the quick link above.
- No VAT is applied.
- Prices are subject to change at any time.
- All materials weighed are to the nearest 20kg.
- All materials must be separated by the customer and deposited into the correct container(s).
- The site rules displayed on the weighbridge building apply at all times.
- Site users will be expected to dispose of their waste themselves, though there are staff on site that may be able to assist with large loads.
- Tipper vans are welcome to use the facility but cannot use the tipping machinery on site – all waste must be manually removed and placed into the correct container.
- The site supervisor has discretion over the quantities that can be disposed of.
- Full payment must be made before you leave the facility – we do not offer an account or invoicing service.
- This service is monitored with automatic number-plate recognition software (ANPR) and CCTV.
- All prices are calculated by weighing the waste in the vehicle, and then weighing the empty vehicle. Waste alone cannot be weighed on the weighbridge.
- A minimum charge applies to each material tipped, which is equal to the price for 20kg.
3. Bring your waste and recycling to the facility
How much will it cost?
The on-site weighbridges allow us to calculate prices based on the weight of each material to the nearest 20kg. Please separate your waste and recycling before bringing it for disposal.
The following table shows the materials we can accept with indicative prices:
|Type of waste||Sample prices by weight|
|20kg||100kg||300kg||500kg||Prices per tonne (1000kg)|
|Hardcore and rubble||£5**||£5**||£6.60||£11||£22|
|Wood and timber||£5**||£7||£21||£35||£70|
|Mixed paper and card||£5**||£5**||£5||£6||£12|
|Mixed loads (excluding general waste/plasterboard)***||£5**||£7||£21||£35||£70|
* General Waste is non-hazardous material that does not fit into one of the other waste categories. For example; sofas, mattresses, plastics, and fabrics. General Waste loads will need to be sorted and separated once on site.
** Minimum charge applies.
*** Mixed loads include Garden Waste, Hardcore & Rubble, Wood & Timber, Paper & Cardboard and Scrap Metal. Mixed loads will have to be sorted and separated once on site. Please note: Mixed loads deemed to be contaminated with significant amounts of General Waste or plasterboard will be charged as General Waste or plasterboard accordingly.
**** This is waste that is non-hazardous waste but requires:
- Additional on site management, for example removal of packaging or items need to be broken up;
- and/or is difficult or not cost effective to handle, for example large loads of polystyrene.
How do I pay?
At the current time, payment is taken by card on site once your recycling/waste has been weighed.
|Monday to Friday||8am - 5pm|
The trade waste facility is closed on bank holidays.
Where are we located?
Gypsum Close (off Lewisher Road),
Troon Industrial Area,
Hazardous waste from businesses will not be accepted at Gypsum Close Recycling Centre, or any of our sites. You should contact a commercial contractor to arrange the removal of your waste. You can contact the Environment Agency for advice on 08708 506 506. A full list of hazardous materials we do not accept can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Aerosol cans
- Animal By-products (e.g. raw meat)
- Batteries (including household batteries, car batteries etc.)
- Clinical waste or medicines
- Electrical goods, such as fridge/freezers, TV monitors, microwaves & other small electrical appliances
- Fluorescent tubes
- Gas bottles
- Hazardous chemicals such as solvent based products, cleaning fluids or items contaminated with hazardous chemicals, including used containers.
- Oil, petrol, diesel or paraffin, brake fluid, antifreeze or items contaminated with these liquids including containers.
- Paints and Varnishes
- Significant amounts of catering food waste
- Waste containing Ozone Depleting Substances (e.g. some Cold Store Panels
Legal disposal of waste materials
All businesses must arrange for legal disposal of all waste materials. This includes waste from house clearances, gardening services, tip run services, and landlord activities.
Please remember that you have a duty of care to ensure your waste is stored, transported and disposed of by someone with a valid Waste Carriers Licence, whether this is yourself or a third party. To check if a company holds a license, you can use the link below:
The law on disposing of trade waste
It is against the law to use household collections, bring banks or household waste recycling centres to dispose of trade waste.
How should I dispose of trade waste?
To dispose of trade waste you can bring it to our trade waste facility at Gypsum Close, or you can contact a commercial waste carrier who will deal with your waste responsibly. We do not collect any trade waste or recycling.
If you have any questions, please send us an email at email@example.com.