Find resources about waste and recycling including recycling rates and targets, educational visits we run for community groups and schools.
Recycling rate and targets
England has set a target to recycle and compost 50 per cent of household waste by 2020.
Each year we record how much waste we produce in Leicester and what happens to it:
- how much is recycled (recycling rate)
- how much is composted (composting rate)
- how much is recovered i.e. used as an alternative fuel to produce heat and power (recovery rate)
These rates show us how much waste we have diverted away from landfill.
- Leicester recycled and composted 41.40 per cent of its household waste in 2015/16.
Leicester's household waste statistics
We work closely with residents, community groups and schools in Leicester to help people learn about waste and recycling. We are available to attend any local meetings that have a community focus, such as:
- Resident association meetings
- Community events / fêtes
- Community group meetings
Our contractor, Biffa Leicester, also offers educational talks in schools across the city.
Get in touch if you would like us to give a talk on recycling or provide an article for a community based publication.
Facts about waste
You can download an information sheet with facts about waste and recycling at the bottom of the page.
Elsewhere on the web
- Biffa Leicester
- Recycle Now
- Love Food Hate Waste
- Leicestershire Waste Partnership
- Leicestershire County Council