Bulky waste collections
We can collect bulky waste from households. The service is for disposing of large items of household waste that either do not fit in the bin (such as furniture) or cannot be put out for your normal bin collection (such as a television).
Before you book a bulky waste collection
Are your items in good condition and suitable to be reused? Items collected via our bulky waste service cannot be sorted for reuse, so please consider using an alternative service to give good quality items a new home:
• Leicestershire ReUse Network is a network of charities working together to find new homes for good quality furniture, homeware and appliances that are no longer wanted (free collection available).
• The Reuse Shop at Gypsum Close Recycling Centre run by Age UK Leicester Shire and Rutland accepts donations of small items including furniture and electricals but doesn’t have a collection service.
• There are also a large number of charity shops across the city that will happily receive a range of second-hand items.
For more links and tips visit our Reduce and Reuse page.
Who can book a bulky waste collection?
You must live in Leicester city to be eligible for this service. Residents who live in Leicestershire should contact their district council to arrange a bulky waste collection. This service is only for householders, we cannot collect any trade or commercial waste. This service is also not available to landlords, however you may be able to take your waste to our Business waste Facility at Gypsum Close Recycling Centre.
What happens when I book a collection?
Once you make your booking we will give you a definite day of collection. Your waste should be left outside your home by 7am, making sure it’s easy for us to access and is not blocking the public highway.
Can I change my collection details after I’ve booked?
It is not currently possible to make changes to a bulky waste collection once booked. However, you can cancel your bulky waste collection request up to 2 working days before the collection date by completing the Cancel a bulky waste collection form.
If you do not cancel your collection in time and you do not leave your waste out to be collected, it will still count as a collection and you will be unable to request another free collection for two months. If you have paid for a collection which is too late to be cancelled, you will not be entitled to a refund.
I am having trouble moving my waste outside
If you are elderly or disabled, you cannot move your waste to an accessible point, and you are unable to arrange for help to do this, we may offer an assisted collection.
Is there a charge for this service?
- Period: every two months
- Number of items: Up to five bulky waste items and 15 bags/bundles of garden waste or up to two fridges/freezers per collection.
- Period: anytime within available collection dates
- *Number of items: Up to 15 bulky waste items for £20.80, and up to 15 bags/bundles of garden waste for £20.80.
What won’t we collect?
There are some restrictions on the items that we can collect. For example, we will not collect:
- Glass and furniture with glass panels
- Commercial or trade waste
- Waste from property refurbishment, including fitted items such as kitchen cupboards, whole bathroom suites and fitted wardrobes
- Hazardous waste, such as vehicles or similar
- Batteries and paints
- Building materials, fixtures and fittings
- Paving slabs, bricks, rubble, soil and trees
- Garage doors
- Garden waste in builders bags or similar.
Where should I leave the items for collection?
We can only collect items from an open location, for example the front or back garden. All gates must be unlocked. You should leave the items ready for collection by 7am. You will be provided with a definite day of collection. If mattresses or sofas are placed outside for collection, please make sure these are covered to stop them becoming wet and too heavy to lift.