Bulky item collections
We can collect bulky waste from households. The service is for disposing of large items of household waste that either do not fit in the bin (e.g. furniture) or cannot be put out for your normal bin collection (e.g. a television).
Who can book a collection?
You must live in Leicester city to be eligible for this service. Residents who live in Leicestershire should contact their district council to arrange a bulky waste collection. This service is only for householders, we cannot collect any trade or commercial waste. This service is also not available to landlords, however you may be able to take your waste to our Trade Waste Facility at Gypsum Close Recycling Centre.
What happens when I book a collection?
Once you make your booking we will give you a definite day of collection. Your waste should be left outside your home by 7am, making sure it’s easy for us to access and is not blocking the public highway.
I am having trouble moving my waste to an accessible collection point
If you are elderly or disabled and you cannot move your waste to an accessible point, and you are unable to arrange for help to do this, we may offer an assisted collection.
Is there a charge for this service?
As of 4 April 2018, we no longer offer the following service: up to 30 bulky waste items for £50. *Instead the new pricing and service below will apply.
- Period: every two months
- Number of items: Up to five bulky waste items and 15 bags/bundles of garden waste or up to two fridges/freezers per collection.
- Period: anytime within available collection dates
- *Number of items: Up to 15 bulky waste items for £20, and up to 15 bags/bundles of garden waste for £20.
What won’t we collect?
There are some restrictions on the items that we can collect. For example, we will not collect:
- Glass and furniture with glass panels
- Commercial or trade waste
- Waste from property refurbishment, including fitted items such as kitchen cupboards, whole bathroom suites and fitted wardrobes
- Hazardous waste, such as vehicles or similar
- Batteries and paints
- Building materials, fixtures and fittings
- Paving slabs, bricks, rubble, soil and trees
- Garage doors
- Garden waste in builders bags or similar.
Please see the full list of items we cannot collect.
Where should I leave the items for collection?
We can only collect items from an open location e.g. the front or back garden. All gates must be unlocked. You should leave the items ready for collection by 7am. You will be provided with a definite day of collection. If mattresses or sofas are placed outside for collection, please make sure these are covered to stop them becoming wet and too heavy to lift.
My items could be reused, will they still be collected?
The Furniture Bank is always looking for donations of good quality, reusable furniture to help support those in the city who may be in crisis. If you think you have a reusable item of furniture and would like to donate it, please visit the Furniture Bank webpage using the link above.